This is a fantastic warm weather BBQ fish recipe. You can make the Salsa Verde a day or two in advance if needed. Skin-on fish works really well for this recipe, but skin-off will be fine too. Use any vegetables that BBQ well.
Use a firm fish like Gurnard (pictured), Salmon or Tarakihi.
For the Salsa Verde
- 30g fresh Basil
- 30g fresh Parsley
- 30g fresh Mint leaves
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 2 tsp baby Capers
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 4 Anchovy Fillets
- 30ml Red Wine Vinegar
- 100ml Olive Oil
- Pinch of Salt, to taste
For the rest
- 1 medium Eggplant, cut into 1cm rounds
- 1 Red Capsicum, cut off the sides
- 1 Yellow Capsicum, cut off the sides
- 1 Red Onion, cut into 1cm rounds
- 6 stalks Asparagus, ends trimmed
- 2 Courgettes, cut length ways into 1cm strips
- ½ tsp dried Oregano
- Olive oil
- Flaky Sea Salt and Freshly Cracked Black Pepper, to season
- 4 large fillets of firm white fish fillets, skin on (optional)
- 1 Lemon, cut in half
- Fresh Basil leaves, to garnish
- To make the Salsa Verde, place all the ingredients into a mini chopper/food processor and blend until well combined and smooth. Chill in the fridge until required.
- Preheat the BBQ to high.
- Season prepped vegetables with dried oregano, olive oil and salt and pepper.
- BBQ the vegetables until charred and cooked through. Remove and keep warm.
- Pat any moisture from the fish fillets, rub with a little oil and season with a pinch of salt.
- Place the fillets skin side down onto the hot BBQ and let the skin crisp. Grill skin side down for 4 minutes then turn to grill the other side for another 1-2 minutes. Remove and rest the fish.
- Place the lemon halves onto the BBQ to grill until charred, 2-3 minutes.
- Arrange the grilled vegetables onto a platter and place the fish on top. Spoon some salsa verde over the vegetables and fish, garnish with the-char grilled lemon and more fresh basil leaves.