This recipe is perfect for a whole side of salmon if you’re feeding a crowd. If there are just a few of you, scale back use a few salmon pieces instead. Salmon can be purchased pin-bone out from us in-store or online here. To pin-bone at home, you just need a sharp pair of tweezers and there’ll be easy instructions available from a quick internet search. We’ve used our Harbour Fish ‘Fish Seasoning’ here, which is available in-store or online. If Gribiche sauce doesn’t sound like you, substitute with homemade or store-bought Tartare sauce, or a cherry relish or chutney would also be delicious!
- 1 side fresh Salmon, skin on and pin-bone out
- 1 packet Mustard, Dill and Tarragon Fish Seasoning
For the Gribiche Sauce
- 6 eggs
- ½ Cup Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 Tbsp White Wine Vinegar
- ¼ Cup Gherkins, diced
- 3 Tbsp Capers
- ¼ Cup Parsley, chopped
- ¼ Cup Tarragon, chopped
- Flaky Sea Salt
- Freshly Cracked Black Pepper
- Bring the salmon to room temperature.
- Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Place the salmon skin-side down on a lined baking tray. Evenly sprinkle the seasoning over salmon until it’s well covered. Using your hands, gently massage the seasoning into the fish.
- Place the salmon into the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes. Cooking times will vary depending on the thickness of the side and how ‘well done’ you like your salmon. A smaller side may take 12-15 minutes, and a very large one 25 minutes +.
- Once the salmon is done, remove from the oven immediately and remember it will keep cooking as it starts to cool.
- While the salmon is cooking, make the Gribiche sauce.
- Place 6 eggs into a saucepan of cold water & bring to a simmer. When the water comes to the boil set a timer for 8 minutes. After 8 minutes of cooking remove from the pot.
- Place the eggs under cold running water to prevent over cooking.
- When the eggs have cooled completely remove the shells. Finley chop the eggs. Set aside.
- In a bowl whisk the olive oil, mustard & vinegar to combine.
- Add the diced gherkins, capers chopped parsley & tarragon.
- Fold through the chopped eggs and season well with salt and pepper.
- Serve the salmon lukewarm, or cold, with the Gribiche on the side.