This simple recipe is from Jana @themacphersondiaries.
Using polenta as a crumb in this recipe makes the fish gluten free, without losing the delicious crunch on it. Genius. Most white-fleshed fish works well for this dish. Fried fish and potatoes love salt so don’t be shy – season well!
- Potatoes, I use 2-3 per person (depending on who I am feeding )
- Flaky Sea Salt & Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- 1/3 Cup Oil
- 1 Cup Polenta
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- 1 Egg
- 500 grams white fish, cut into goujon sized chunks (I used Blue Cod)
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Tomato chilli pickle, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees, fan bake.
- Peel your potatoes and cut into chip shapes.
- Place on an oven tray, lightly toss in oil, and season well with salt and pepper.
- Cook for 30-45 mins, stirring a couple of times during cooking.
- While the potatoes are in the oven, coat your fish.
- On a plate, combine polenta & lemon zest and season well.
- In a bowl, whisk your egg.
- Dip the fish pieces in egg, then coat in the polenta. Repeat until all the fish is done. Set aside in the fridge for 15 mins.
- Once the fish is set, leave out on the bench for at least 10 minutes before cooking, so the fish comes back to room temperature. (Always do this before you cook fish - just like you would meat).
- To cook the fish - heat a pan on a medium-high heat and add a good slosh of oil. A knob of butter added here will ensure a nice golden brown finish. Cook your fish pieces (in batches probably). Season well in the pan. When they’re done, drain the oil off on a paper towel.
- When they chips are done, keep the oven on full, and open the oven door for 2 mins while the chips are still in the oven. This takes the steam out and keeps the chips crunchy. (A great tip from my friend Katherine.)
- Serve the fish with chips, lemon wedges, pickle and any additional condiments you fancy. Enjoy!