This simple and delicious recipe is courtesy of Jana from The MacPherson Diaires.
In this wintery one-pan dish I have roasted the vegetables and added the fish on top near the end. It’s such a great, simple way to cook fish and is light on dishes. You can prep the veg in the morning before going to work and then just pop them in to cook when you get home. Add the fish, and serve 5 mins later straight from the baking dish. Easy!
A few tips for this recipe:
- Use any in-season vegetables that you enjoy
- Cut the vegetables so that they cook at a similar speed. Here the red onion are smaller than the cauliflower for instance.
- If you aren’t sure of cooking times you can keep each variety slightly separate in the dish, then you can take some out while cooking if one vegetable is ready sooner than another. But I encourage you to give it a whirl all mixed up, you can do it .
- Don’t overcrowd the dish. Leave a little space around the vegetables so that they roast and don’t steam.
- 1 Head of Garlic
- 1 Red Onion
- ½ Head of Cauliflower
- 8 Brussel Sprouts
- 4 Capsicum / Sweet Peppers
- 500 grams Fish Fillets (not too thick; Gurnard, Tarakihi, Sole or Perch)
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 Lemon
- 6 Tbsp Whole Egg Mayonnaise
- Fresh Herbs (I used Rosemary & Oregano)
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees celsius
- Cut the onion into wedges
- Cut the cauliflower into florets and then each floret in half
- Cut the brussel sprouts in half
- Core the capsicum and remove seeds and slice into wedges
- Cut the garlic and lemon in half horizontally
- Place all your vegetables on a baking dish and season and drizzle with olive oil. Put the lemon and garlic on the tray cut side down. Top with fresh herbs.
- Roast your vegetables until 95% done
- Take out your lemon and squeeze the juice and mix it with your mayo
- Take the tray of veg out of the oven, switch the oven to grill and pump up the heat to 220 degrees
- Season your fish and lay the fillets over the vegetables in one layer
- Drizzle sparingly with olive oil
- Place back under the grill, and cook until the fish is done! Approx. 3-5 mins will be enough
- Take out of the oven, squeeze with fresh lemon juice & serve with the lemon mayo!