By The Macpherson Diaries.
This fragrant fish curry with noodles elevates a store-bought curry paste to something that much more special.
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 1 Onion, finely diced
- 1 Thumb-sized piece of Ginger, peeled & minced/finely grated
- 2 Cloves of Garlic, finely chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Green Curry Paste, I used Mae Ploy
- 1-2 Cups of Fish Stock
- 1 Can Coconut cream
- 1 Can coconut milk
- 4 Kaffir lime leaves
- ½ disc of palm sugar, pounded up in pestle & mortar OR 2 Tablespoons of brown sugar
- 250 grams Noodles
- 1 head of Broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 stem of Lemongrass, bashed to release the flavour
- 700 grams of firm white fish, cut into large chunks
- (I used monkfish & Ling)
- Fish sauce
- 1 cup frozen peas
- For the Garnish:
- Coriander, leaves picked
- 1 Kaffir lime leaf, thinly sliced
- 1 Lime cut into wedges
- Heat a heavy bottom saucepan to medium-high heat.
- Saute onion in oil until translucent.
- Add garlic & ginger fry for a minute.
- Add curry paste and fry for another minute, cooking out the paste. If its sticking add a splash more oil.
- Once fragrant, about 90 seconds, add ½ cup of fish stock.
- Cook out until reduced by half and add another ½ cup of fish stock.
- Cook out again and add the coconut milk & coconut cream, lemongrass stem & kaffir lime leaves (all whole), and sugar.
- Cook for about 10 minutes to infuse all the flavours.
- While cooking, steam the broccoli & cook the noodles as per the packet instructions.
- Taste the curry sauce. Add more sugar or fish sauce if needed. If it is too thick add some more fish stock and cook a little more.
- Remove the kaffir lime & lemon grass
- Add the fish when you are happy with the flavour. Cook for a minute and then add the peas. Once you are happy the fish is cooked (no translucence left) -it will probably take 3-5 minutes)-remove from the heat.
- Serve the curry sauce with the noodles and broccoli and top with coriander, kaffir lime leaf, & lime wedges.