Tacos are always a winner. This recipe is very simple but oh so tasty, and one the kids can help out with. Most white fish varieties work well for tacos – Gurnard is our favourite. Homemade wedges on the side would be a perfect accompaniment.
For the Slaw
- 1/4 Large Red Cabbage, finely sliced or shaved with a mandolin
- 2 Tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Lime, zest of
- Flaky Sea Salt
- Freshly Cracked Pepper
For the Guacamole
- 2 Avocados, peeled, pitted & mashed
- 1 Tomato, seeds removed & diced
- ¼ Red Onion, finely diced
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Coriander, finely chopped
- Flaky Sea Salt, 2 generous pinches
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- ½ Lime, juice of
For the Chipotle Mayo
- 1 Cup Mayo
- 1 Tbsp Chipotle Sauce (‘La Morena’ from the supermarket is great)
For the Fish
- 600g White Fish Fillets, portioned to approx 12cm pieces
- 3 Eggs, whisked
- 1 Cup Flour mixed with 1 Tbsp of Cajun Seasoning
- 200g Panko Breadcrumbs
- 12x corn tortillas (or flour tortillas)
- 10g Fresh Coriander
- 1 Lime, cut into wedges
- Place all of the slaw ingredients in a bowl and massage well with your hands to mix. Set aside.
- Mix all of the guacamole ingredients well in a bowl and then set aside in an airtight container (to prevent the guacamole from turning brown).
- Mix the mayo and chipotle sauce in a bowl. If you like an intense smokey flavour, add more chipotle to taste. Sub some Sriracha if you don’t have chipotle to hand. Set aside.
- Line a baking tray and pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees Celsius, fan bake.
- Make sure your fish has come up to room temperature. Place the flour & Cajun seasoning, whisked eggs and panko breadcrumbs in 3 individual bowls. Take a piece of fish and coat well in flour, dip in the whisked eggs and cover well, then roll in the panko crumbs to coat. Remember to use one hand for wet ingredients and the other for dry (this will stop your crumbs getting lumpy). Transfer the fish onto the tray, and then repeat the process with the remaining fish pieces.
- Drizzle the fish with olive oil and then pop into the oven for 8-10 minutes. Turn the fish at halfway. Remove from the oven when golden brown and a broken apart piece of fish has moist white flesh (no translucence).
- Heat your tortillas to the packet instructions.
- To plate up - pop a tortilla down, place a small handful of slaw in the middle, a couple of dollops of guacamole on top, and then a piece of fish. Top with a generous spoon of chipotle mayo on top of the fish, some fresh coriander and a wedge of lime on the side. Repeat & enjoy!!