This recipe elevates a store-bought curry paste to something that much more special. I’ve used noodles here, but sub in rice if that’s more to your liking.
Use: firm white fish. Ling, Monkfish or Elephant are all great choices.
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 1 Onion, finely diced
- 1 thumb-sized piece of Ginger, peeled & minced/finely grated
- 2 Cloves of Garlic, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp Green Curry Paste, I used Mae Ploy
- 1-2 cups of Fish Stock
- 1 Can Coconut cream
- 1 Can Coconut Milk
- 4 Kaffir Lime Leaves
- ½ disc of Palm Sugar, pounded up in pestle & mortar OR 2 Tbsp of Brown Sugar
- 250g Noodles
- 1 head of Broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 stem of Lemongrass, bashed to release the flavour
- 700 grams of firm White Fish, cut into large chunks (I used Monkfish & Ling)
- Fish Sauce
- 1 cup frozen Peas
- Coriander, leaves picked
- 1 Kaffir Lime Leaf, thinly sliced
- 1 Lime, cut into wedges
- Heat a heavy bottom saucepan to medium-high heat.
- Saute onion in oil until translucent.
- Add garlic and ginger, fry for a minute.
- Add curry paste and fry for another minute, cooking out the paste. If its sticking add a splash more oil.
- Once fragrant, about 90 seconds, add ½ cup of fish stock.
- Cook out until reduced by half and add another ½ cup of fish stock.
- Cook out again and add the coconut milk and coconut cream, lemongrass stem and kaffir lime leaves (all whole), and sugar.
- Cook for about 10 minutes to infuse all the flavours.
- While cooking, steam the broccoli and cook the noodles as per the packet instructions.
- Taste the curry sauce. Add more sugar or fish sauce if needed. If it is too thick add some more fish stock and cook a little more.
- Remove the kaffir lime and lemongrass
- Add the fish when you are happy with the flavour. Cook for a minute and then add the peas. Once you are happy the fish is cooked (no translucence left), it will probably take 3-5 minutes, remove from the heat.
- Serve the curry sauce with the noodles, broccoli and top with coriander, kaffir lime leaf and lime wedges.
Recipe by Jana from The Macpherson Diaries